Fax: (206) 287-9113
Email: egillett AT pregodonnell.com
Linkedin: Eric P. Gillett
901 5th Ave., Suite 3400
Seattle, WA 98164
Areas of Practice
Eric Gillett is an experienced civil defense litigator and mediator who has practiced law since 1986. As a founding member of Preg O'Donnell & Gillett, he has helped grow the firm to be one of the most highly regarded business litigation firms in the Pacific Northwest. Over the past 10 years, Eric has made himself available to assist parties to resolve their commercial disputes through mediation.
In early 2019, Eric attended the world class mediation program at Pepperdine University, Strauss Institute For Dispute Resolution to further develop his mediation skills. With a strong commitment to alternative dispute resolution, Eric maintains a Seattle based commercial mediation practice alongside his active litigation practice.
With 35 years of litigation experience, Eric's approach to mediation taps his deep expertise in the law to drive efficiency, offer streamlined solutions, ensure adherence to legal considerations and provide overall cost savings. His early engagement and preparation include frank pre-mediation discussions with counsel to gain a solid understanding of issues, financial valuation and dispute resolution considerations. His experience and innate ability to fairly and objectively engage with adverse parties translates to a refined negotiation strategy which effectively positions clients for mutually agreeable outcomes. He maintains a commitment to mediation and alternative dispute resolution to offer clients timely and fair settlements, cost savings and avoiding protracted timelines. Above all, Eric focuses on being respectful and fair in all dispute resolutions.
With more than three decades of litigation practice, Eric enjoys passing on his experiences to younger attorneys in the same way that his mentors passed on wisdom to him. He has gained this knowledge by defending clients in a number of industries with complicated legal issues. His passion lies in thoroughly preparing a case for trial and using that thoroughness to resolve cases on the best terms as early as possible. Recognizing the business interests of his clients, Eric strives to find alternative ways to provide legal services and resolve cases in his clients' best interests. Eric finds excellence to be a necessary quality in all legal work and proves it through his service to clients. He has extensive trial experience in Washington and Alaska and has worked on cases across the country.
In October 2012, Eric P. Gillett completed the three-day Litigation Management Institute earning the designation of Certified Litigation Management Professional (CLMP). Hosted at Columbia Law School in New York City, the Litigation Management Institute (LMI) is the first certification program specifically designed to bring together leaders in the insurance and legal professions to provide a comprehensive understanding of the business of litigation management. The intensive program is designed to bridge the gap between legal theory and litigation strategy and the business aspects of litigation management.
- Eric received his Bachelor of Science degree from California State University, Fresno, in 1983.
- He received his law degree from McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento, California, in 1986.
- Pepperdine University, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, 2019.
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Courts (WSBA #23691)
- Alaska State Courts (ABA #8611111)
- Oregon State Courts (OSBA #141838)
- United States District Courts for Washington and Alaska
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Professional & Community Activities
- Eric is a member of the Washington, Alaska, and Oregon State Bars, the Defense Research Institute, the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association, TIDA, and the Transportation Lawyers Association.
- Eric is a past President of the Board of Trustees for the King County Bar Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving diversity in the legal profession and access to justice for the under-served population in King County.
- Eric is a supervising member for the firm’s pro bono program.
- Eric is also a member of the KCBA Judicial Screening Committee and the KCBA Judicial Conferencing Committee.
- Eric has been named to the Washington Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in Washington since 2011. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers.
- AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell’s Lawyer Rating system. Under the Martindale-Hubbell criteria, an AV Rating shows that a lawyer has reached the height of professional excellence and is recognized for the highest levels of skill, integrity and ethics.
For more information
For more information about Eric’s fully committed mediation practice, visit www.gillettmediation.com