Fax: (206) 287-9113
901 5th Ave., Suite 3400
Seattle, WA 98164
Areas of Practice
Lori O'Tool is a partner with Preg O’Donnell & Gillett, and, in recent years, she has gained significant experience honing her trial, arbitration, and mediation skills. Lori thrives in a collaborative atmosphere with clients, claims representatives, experts, associates, and paralegals, working to develop strategic and creative approaches in resolving litigation.
In addition, she works on maintaining cooperative, respectful, and professional relationships with adverse counsel while passionately representing her clients with integrity. She also takes much pride and pleasure in volunteer service opportunities where she provides guidance to community non-profit organizations, further enhancing her effectiveness as a lawyer.
Lori also has an extensive background in contracting. Prior to joining Preg O'Donnell & Gillett, she was the chief contracting officer for King County Housing Authority, where she administered all of the agency's contracts for risk allocation and compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Lori received Bachelor of Arts degrees in chemistry and marketing, magna cum laude, from the University of Northern Iowa.
She graduated, cum laude, from William Mitchell College of Law in 1996. During law school, Lori placed first in the Giles Sutherland Rich moot court competition and represented William Mitchell at the regional level, where she achieved top advocacy and regional runner-up honors.
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Courts (WSBA #26537)
- United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
Professional & Community Activities
- Lori is a member of the Washington State Bar Association, King County Bar Association, and Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association.
- She is a Past President of the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association, and has previously served as chair of WDTL's Construction Section.
- She is a member of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) and is currently the representative for the State of Washington.
- Outside of her law practice, Lori has served on boards and committees for The Center for Wooden Boats, Seattle Women's Sailing Association, and the Schooner Martha Foundation.
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, "Federal Arbitration Act Preemption: Washington Supreme Court to Decide Consolidated Cases," DRI: For the Defense, August 2008 issue.
- Co-author, "Handling Construction Defect Claims: Western States," 3rd Ed., 2005 Cumulative Supplement.
- Presenter, "The Latest and Greatest from Our Courts & Legislature," WDTL's Annual Construction Law Update, Seattle, WA, February 4, 2011.
- Presenter, “Pacific Northwest Coverage & Current Trends,” 16th Annual West Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference, San Diego, CA, September 24, 2010.
- Presenter, "Appellate Overview, Including An In-Depth Look at the Carlile Decision: Did Contractors Win the Battle, but Lose the War?," WDTL's Annual Construction Law Update, Seattle, WA, February 19, 2010.
- Presenter, "Public Works Projects," Washington Schools Risk Management Pool seminar at the Puget Sound Educational Service Office, Renton, WA, April 23, 2009.
- Presenter, "Recent Statutes and Case Law," Lorman's seminar What to Do When Construction Projects Go Bad in Washington, Seattle, WA, September 18, 2008.
- Presenter, "Updates on Construction Defect Claims," CPCU, Bellevue, WA, April 10, 2008.
- Presenter, "Legislative Update Including Referendum 67 and Its Potential Impact on Construction Defect Cases," WDTL's Annual Update on Construction Law, Seattle, WA, February 1, 2008.
- Presenter, "The Empire Strikes Back: RCW 64.55 and Everything Else the Legislature Has Been Up To," WDTL's Annual Update on Construction Law, Seattle, WA, February 24, 2006.
- Presenter, "Recent Legal Developments Affecting Insurance & Construction Industries," The Seminar Group's seminar Insurance and the Construction Industry, Seattle, WA, August 12, 2004.
- Presenter, "New Legislation Including the Discovery Rule Window," WDTL's Annual Update on Construction Law, Seattle, WA, February 27, 2002.
Appellate and Supreme Court Work:
- Satomi Owners Ass'n v. Satomi, LLC, 167 Wash.2d 781, 225 P.3d 213, 2009 WL 4985689 (December 24, 2009).
- Carlile v. Harbour Homes, Inc., 147 Wash.App. 193, 194 P.3d 280 ( Div. 1, 2008).
- MacLean Townhomes, L.L.C. v. America 1st Roofing & Builders Inc., 133 Wn.App. 828, 138 P.3d 155 (Div. 1, 2006).
- Lakemont Ridge Homeowners Ass'n v. Lakemont Ridge Ltd. Partnership, 156 Wn.2d 696, 131 P.3d 905 (2006).
- Sammamish Pointe Homeowners Ass'n v. Sammamish Pointe L.L.C., 116 Wn.App. 117, 64 P.3d 656 (Div. 1, 2003).
- Lori was voted a "Rising Star" by Washington Law & Politics, a magazine that annually publishes a list of the best and brightest Washington lawyers, in 2003 and 2004.